Hellllloooo and happy weekend, my sweet angels! Like most of America, and the working world, I love the weekends. It means two days of not having to shlep myself to the office and two days to do things that I (usually) enjoy doing. Like eating this Bacon, Kale & Sweet Potato Frittata, Trader Joe’s trips, running, watching and re-watching the Game of Thrones trailer (I’ve watched the latest trailer like, 6 times already).
What. A. Week. It felt much longer than 5 days, especially since Wednesday & Thursday seemed to D-R-A-G ON. I got some disappointing news on Thursday that is still a bit of a bummer. Instead of dwelling on it: Matt and I decided on our next vacation: Seattle!! See ya in August, Mer 😉 Uh, just kidding. I KNOW the show is filmed on a set in LA, okay?! I am SO excited to check out Mt Rainier National Park, the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and the ferries (s/o McDreamy). We thought August would be a good time to check out Seattle: not too hot, not too cold, juuuust right! Hopefully not too touristy. If it is, whatever. We’re tourists too.
Oh, WHAT A GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE. Matt scored us 2 passes to the NHL Draft Fan Fest so we will probably make our way down to the United Center at some point today! We aren’t sure what to expect but according to the website: games, food, fun, Blackhawks players, and prizes! I’m hoping to win the hockey puck signed by Corey Crawford 😉 I’m not entirely certain how much time we’ll spend at the fan fest but Matt wants to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo or do something else in the city so that’ll be our day right there. Luckily, I planned ahead of time and got my run done & fueled for the day with this Bacon, Kale & Sweet Potato Frittata!
This frittata is DELICIOUS! I sauteed the sweet potatoes and kale in a little bit of bacon grease and just. O-M-G you can taste the bacon in the sweet potatoes! It is absolutely, positively so delicious. The potatoes are really soft, bacon extra crispy, and the kale adds a nice hint of green for health.
I prepared mine in a pie tin (lol) because I do not have a cast iron skillet (yet) and I figured none of the pans I currently own would work for this. For easy clean-up, I highly recommend using a cast-iron or an oven-safe pan that can fit everything. Happy eating!
- 5 slices of bacon (any works, I use applewood smoked)
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes
- Several stalks of kale
- 8 eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dried Parsley for garnish
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400F
- Over low-medium heat, place the bacon into your oven-safe pan & flip sides after 3-4 minutes
- While bacon is being cooked, start peeling and dicing your potatoes
- After your bacon is done, drain the bacon in a paper towel & chop
- Using some of the bacon grease (not all - store the remaining grease in a glass jar), saute the potatoes until soft (10-15 minutes)
- Rip the kale off the stalk and rough chop
- Toss in your kale when the potatoes are nearly done & saute until wilted
- Combine all ingredients thus far (potatoes, kale, bacon) into the oven-safe pan
- In a bowl, scramble the eggs & add salt and pepper
- Add egg mixture to your oven-safe pan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Cover the pan with tin-foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes
- Serve up, buttercup!
This frittata, as is, is gluten-free and dairy-free. Feel free to omit the bacon for a vegetarian meal (use olive or sesame oil for the potatoes & kale, then). If you like cheese with your eggs, some shredded cheddar would make an excellent addition. To make this meal higher in protein and lower in fat, omit the yolks from 2-3 eggs and just use the whites.