Happy Friday, friends! It is a beautiful day in Chicago and it’s going to be an even better weekend! I finally have nothing going on. HURRAY! I am desperate for a few days to do absolutely nothing at all (besides running, blah) – or whatever I want. Like listen to the new Taylor Swift single on repeat (ahh!). Or, just as likely, make these Blueberry Crumble Bars over and over. And over.
I made these Blueberry Crumble Bars earlier in the week because I had a few spare minutes. Growing up, I absolutely hated blueberries. I didn’t like the texture and the taste which was always weird because I lived for blueberry muffins. Actually, I don’t think it’s all that weird. Who doesn’t like blueberry muffins? Weirdos, that’s who. And I am certainly not a weirdo (at least not when it comes to muffins).
As I started to learn more and more about food and healthy eating, I really wanted to like a wider variety of fruits and vegetables. So I did what anyone would do and forced myself to eat blueberries. I mean, they’re so healthy! And as it turns out, I learned that blueberries actually taste pretty alright when they aren’t stuffed inside a sugary muffin! Crazy.
Anyway. Now I’m officially a blueberry lover. I have them almost every day as a snack at work, along with some strawberries. YUM. What a tasty, healthy snack. Did you know? Blueberries are the only naturally occurring blue food in nature? Everything else: FAKE NEWS.
Okay, on to the Blueberry Crumble Bars:
I just. I’m not even capable of describing how delicious these bars are. I tried one right out of the oven and it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. These bars are just as good room-temperature or frozen! They’re the perfect fuel for after a long run/workout, a Labor Day picnic (hint-hint it’s next weekend!), or when you’re just jonesin’ for a sweet treat.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2+ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Juice of one lemon (1-2 tbsp)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F and line your 8x8, baking dish with parchment paper or non-stick spray
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the ingredients for the blueberry filling
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and baking powder
- Cut in the egg yolk and butter using a fork and mix until you've reached a sandy texture
- Press approximately 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of your baking dish
- Pour blueberry mixture over the top
- With the remaining mixture, stir in the brown sugar and 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Crumble the remaining dough over the top of blueberry mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes and let cool before serving!
And if you don’t like blueberry pastries (you’re a weirdo, know that), you can substitute in strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or even mixed berries! I know you’ll enjoy the Blueberry Crumble Bars just as much as I do – good luck not eating the whole pan in one day 😉 If you make these Blueberry Crumble Bars, be sure to share on social media and tag me @kilroys_kitchen or hashtag #kilroyskitchen. I’d love to see your creations!
Looking for more blueberry recipes? I’ve got Blueberry Lemon Muffins on deck, too!
What are your plans this weekend? Anything exciting? Let me know in the comments below!