Good morning & happy Friday, my friends! It has been quite a gloomy week here in Chicagoland and apparently now we’re in a State of Emergency because of all the flooding. Crazy, right? I have never seen so much water! Usually when we get heavy rainfall, only the east side of the town is impacted (close to the river) but the rain was non-stop early on in the week so now, even the west side is effected. Like, even Six Flags was closed due to the flooding and Six Flags NEVER closes. #youknowitsbadwhen… But to make this gloomy week a bit brighter, I’ve got some Blueberry Lemon Muffins to share with you today!
I have been wanting to make Blueberry Lemon Muffins for-freakin-ever and for one reason or another, I put it off. Until now.
Let’s back this up a little bit, okay? About a year and a half ago, I was at my local Jewel when I was roaming through the bakery section. The bakery section smells so good all the time so the smell + my hunger (runger? I stopped by after a workout) = I NEED FOOD. I decided to “be good” and I only bought 1 muffin (instead of a 4-pack) when they caught my eye: BLUEBERRY LEMON MUFFINS. What a delicious combination of flavors! I just had to have one. And I did!
And then I never saw that beautiful combination again. I’ve had my heart broken in the past but never like this. Shame on you, Jewel (I’m kidding, I love Jewel). Instead of creating my own version of a blueberry lemon muffin, I have spent the last year and a half wallowing in my self-pity.
That stops TODAY. These muffins are so gosh darn beautiful. And delicious. And so easy to make! You probably already have everything you need in your refrigerator or pantry. Lucky you! You can have these muffins done in less than 30 minutes if you’re speedy, but definitely less than 45 minutes. Amazing!
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 whole eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose, oat, whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray your muffin tins with non-stick spray or line with muffin liners
- Mix together: yogurt, vanilla extract, eggs, lemon juice, and white sugar
- In a separate bowl: flour, baking soda, salt
- Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, along with most of lemon zest
- Gently fold blueberries into the batter
- Pour batter into muffin tin
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (depending on oven - muffins are done when a fork comes out clean)
- Remove & CHOW DOWN