Woah. Two posts, one week? SO LUCKY! Today I’m gonna tell you all about my latest obsessions AND share my Caprese Chicken recipe! Are you ready? Let’s go!!
My Latest Obsessions:
- Big Little Lies on HBO. Watch it. Don’t have HBO? Steal your parents password. I cannot put into words how much I love this series – the acting, the cinematography, THE SOUNDTRACK (it’s been on repeat for almost a week now). I’ve also told probably 6 or 7 people to start the series. And now I’m telling even more people. It’s also a book for all you readers out there – I cannot attest to how good it is, although I’m sure it’s great, because I haven’t read it yet and am debating on waiting until I’m done with the show to read or just getting a jump-start.
- Crossfit – it’s all the rage right now. Kidding. If I ever start getting annoying, lmk. I decided to join a CF gym because I was bored at my regular gym AND I’ve heard it’s a great supplement to running so… that’s that.
- Forest Preserves – I mean… just look at this picture!! If I run after work, versus before, I head over to the closest forest preserve and I happened to catch THIS pretty little picture yesterday. #peacefulAF
Alright, enough about me and on to the food. I uh, I really outdid myself this time. And I wish I made enough for leftovers but it’s a good thing I didn’t since I actually ran out(!!) of a key ingredient. So anyway – CAPRESE CHICKEN, Y’ALL. Everybody loves caprese salad, right?! I mean… FRESH MOZZARELLA AND TOMATOES AND BASIL. But this time: with CHICKEN AND ROASTED TOMATOES. SAY IT WITH ME: CAPRESE CHICKEN.
I gotta be honest with you all right now: I don’t like raw tomatoes. NOPE, NEVER HAVE. My grandpa even has a garden and has been growing tomatoes for as long as I can remember but I will not eat them (he gives me lettuce & potatoes though so we good). But these tomatoes are ROASTED and I LOVE them. They’re a perfect complement to the tart balsamic glaze in this dish.
AND THE CHEESE – SO OOEY GOOEY OH MY GOD. You can put as much or as little cheese as you want but if you’re asking me: THE MORE CHEESE, THE BETTER.
I decided to serve my caprese chicken atop a bed of greens, topped with extra balsamic glaze +serve with a slice of roasted garlic bread (say WHAT). Yeah.
When you’re admiring my photos below, bear in mind that I’m still working on my food photography and THESE PHOTOS DO NOT DO THE DISH JUSTICE.
- 1-lb Chicken Breast
- Fresh Mozzarella Slices
- Fresh Basil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar, packed
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, dried oregano, dried basil
- Cooking Spray or 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Pre-heat oven to 400F, warm an oven-safe pan over medium-high heat on stove & season raw chicken breasts with salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil
Once pan is warmed, sear chicken breast on both sides for approximately 3 minutes each. Chicken will not be cooked through but should have a nice, brown color. After searing, remove chicken from pan and set aside
Using your chicken-pan, mix together balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and bring to a bubble. Add chicken back to the pan along with tomatoes and coat with the balsamic-brown sugar mixture
Cook in the oven for approximately 20 minutes (more or less depending on thickness of chicken breast)
Once chicken is nearly done, remove from oven and coat breasts with mozzarella slices, return to oven until cheese is melty (about 5 minutes)
Remove from oven and top breasts with fresh basil while you complete preparing any side dishes (bread with oil, salad)
For extra balsamic glaze, follow the same instructions as above: 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar + 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed