Hey everyone! Happy day 4 of the New Year! Today I’m bringing you a personal rant, some of my resolutions for this year, and a quick & easy semi-homemade recipe that you can prepare in bulk quantities.
If you see someone running on a busy road, or on the shoulder of that busy road, because there is no sidewalk available: do not honk at them. It’s SCARY. It’s rude. It catches the runner off guard and freaks them out.
Really, you shouldn’t be honking or yelling at anyone, sidewalk or not (were you raised by animals or??). I can’t tell you how many times I’ve flicked the yeller or honker off because of how disrespectful that is. And do you know how many people, mostly women, swear off running outside FOR THIS REASON? Yeah, so stop that. Thanks.
I’ve got quite a few resolutions this year and some are going to remain private but I’ll share the big ones with you now.
- Run the Chicago Marathon (& 2 halves before!)
- Budget smarter – up until now, my budgeting goals have been “save as much as possible,” which isn’t bad but there are times when I have spending money and it’s like… where is that going? How can I better optimize my money? So uh, yeah, that’s that
- Blog two times per week – because, duh! Who doesn’t want more of this?!
- Read one book per month – I know, I know. Really, it shouldn’t be that difficult but reading is something I struggle with, even though I really do love it
- Stretch 10 minutes per day with at least 1 yoga video/class per week
So yesterday while at work, I got a mad craving for tacos. MAD. I was planning on making fajitas last night anyway so… (is there really a difference? If there is, lmk). SO ANYWAY – I send a text to Matt informing him of my taco-decision and he said “we need good salsa, like a mango salsa.” UM, YES PLEASE! I got off work, went for a run (see: rant above!), and then made my way to Jewel to pick up the necessary ingredients.
I’d already had everything needed in my fridge and pantry except the mango so imagine my sadness when I discovered that Jewel didn’t have any fresh mangoes! But I mean, duh, it’s January. Mangoes aren’t really a thing right now, right? Right. So what’s a girl to do? Luckily, Jewel has amazing pre-made salsas (including a mango salsa!) so I scooped one up and went on my merry way. I LOVE JEWEL! They should start paying me for how often I discuss my love of that store. Okay, okay, now time for the actual recipe. Like I said, it’s semi-homemade and perfect if you don’t know how to navigate your way through the kitchen (I initially typed ‘chicken’ which… okay).
Shredded Chicken Tacos & Mango Salsa
- 1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 2/3C water
- 1.5lb chicken breast
- Tortillas of all kinds (including chips)
- Toppings: cheese, jalapeno, onion, salsas, cilanto
- Optional: mixed greens
- Poach yo’ thawed chicken and shred using two forks
- Do you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer? YOU DO?! Good news: put your chicken in the bowl and use your batter paddle – it does the shredding for you!! (this is all new to me but IT REALLY WORKS! S/O Jenni)
- In a large saucepan, pour in 2/3C water + 1 packet of taco seasoning on medium-high heat and MIX TF OUTTA YOUR ~SAUCE
- Once mixed, add the chicken and coat well
- Serve in the taco shells/tortillas or over a bed of greens and top with whatever floats your boat – I ate mine on salad and made a small cheese quesadilla because cheese + tortilla (bread) = life
Forgive me for the terrible photo quality – the lighting in my house really sucks sometimes!