HEY everyone! Today we’re baking cookies! Well, not today. Because it’s 10PM here. I have a job. And other stuff to do. Get off my back.
Thank you to everyone who read my post from yesterday. Really, truly, THANK YOU! I’ve gotten a few messages from readers thanking me for being so open and honest and I REALLY appreciate that. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I’m sharing a cookie recipe below. Cookies that MATT AND I BAKED. And they are delicious, let me tell YOU! I’m not much of a baker; I like to do easy banana breads and basic chocolate chip cookies but otherwise, gimme a box of brownie batter. Clearly, I’m no Martha when it comes to baked goods. But Matt. Wow. He is so patient in the kitchen. Messy, but patient. And he loves to experiment, whereas I’m like “no, no, no, it has to be THIS WAY.” It has definitely been fun to see him play around and perfect these Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip & Pretzel cookies. We’ve baked together in the past but this was the first (THE FIRST!!) time we did so without a fight. PROGRESS.
I ran 8 miles yesterday. I drove over to Independence Grove so I could do a little running there and a little running on the Des Plaines River Trail without fearing for my life. I’m psycho, I know. Here are my thoughts for every dang mile:
- Mile 1: Perfect weather. The sun is hiding behind some clouds and wow, this is going to be a great run!
- Mile 2: Ooh this is pretty.
- Mile 3: Hello, sun. Nice of you to join me. Boy, am I glad I put sunscreen on!
- Mile 4: Okay… well… I guess I’m halfway done.
- Mile 5: OH MY GOD WHY IS THE WIND SO STRONG
- Mile 6: Oh god, the wind was really slowing me down + I had severe cotton mouth so I HAD to find a water fountain (spoiler: I did)
- Mile 7: Am I done yet?
- Mile 8: MADE IT. I can now go home and do nothing for the rest of the day – if I want.
8 shweaty and shlow miles but they were done and it’s only gonna get easier, right? FINGERS CROSSED. Can we move on to the cookies now? I think we should.
Matt and I combined our love for salty and sweet in an easy-to-eat and super delicious cookie form. These cookies are perfectly chewy and not too thick so be careful or you’ll be 4 cookies deep!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip & Pretzel Cookies
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar (dark or light), lightly packed
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Chopped Pretzels
- 16-20 Soft Caramel Candies, chopped in half
- 36+ Pretzel Twists
- Extra heaping of Sea Salt, to top cookies after baking
Preheat your oven to 350F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat
In a stand mixer: combine butter, eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, and vanilla extra in a bowl
In a mixing bowl: combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt
With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients until incorporated well
Stir in the chocolate chips & pretzels
Form a ball of dough and insert a piece of caramel candy into the middle. Place dough ball onto baking sheet
Bake cookies for approximately 3-4 minutes and remove from oven, place pretzel twist on top, and continue baking for another 4-5 minutes
Sprinkle cookies with a generous (or not!) helping of sea salt