HAPPY FRIDAY, MY FRIENDS! I have so many reasons to be excited it’s Friday. One: I have a snow day! And my exam for today has been postponed so I have three more days to study #blessed. Two: 50 Shades comes out today. Do you know what that means? The stupid commercials won’t be playing anymore #doubleblessed.
With all of this cold weather we’ve been having, all I wanna eat is warm, hearty food. The only problem with that is is that “hearty” meals are often full of carbs and fats and are just notsogood for the ol’ body. However, that all changes today! I whipped up a delicious Turkey Stuffed Peppers dish and it is hearty, healthy, and tasty as HECK.
Did you know: 1 cup of bell pepper is only 45 calories and fulfills your recommended Vitamins C + A!
Ground turkey often gets a bad reputation. “It’s dry!” “It’s flavorless!” Yeah, two valid criticisms when you don’t know how to cook 😉 With ground turkey, it’s important to seasonseasonseason and cook low and slow to prevent drying out.
So my Turkey Stuffed Peppers are not only healthy and delicious, the recipe is super budget-friendly! Having budget-friendly meals is really important to me, especially now that my income is half of what it was in 2017 but most of my expenses have remained the same.
- 16oz 93/7 ground turkey: $5.99
- 6 bell peppers @ $0.89 each: $5.34
- 1c dry white rice (approx 5 servings): $2.36 ($0.47 per serving)
- 1c shredded mozzarella: $1.00
- Store brand marinara sauce: negligible (it’s $2.00 for 26oz)
- Total cost: $14.69
- Cost per serving: $2.45
Yes, you need to make these. Like, now.
What’s your favorite hearty dish? How do you make it healthier?
- 6 bell peppers - any color
- 1-lb 90/10 ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups raw spinach (approx. 1 bag)
- 1 cup dry rice (white/brown, jasmine, quinoa OK)
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, dried basil
- Optional: shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Cut off the tops of bell peppers and cut in half. Scoop out the insides, place open-side down on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes
- While peppers are baking, let's prepare the stuffing!
- Brown the turkey meat over medium-low heat along with seasonings and garlic
- Once the turkey is cooked through, add the onions to the mixture and saute until onions begin to soften (about 2 minutes)
- Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes and, if you want, some more seasonings and simmer
- Optional: add shredded mozzarella
- Take the peppers out of the oven and fill the insides with the mixture, top with more cheese if ya like 😉
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes
- And EAT!